LACDA Juried Show

ikebana altered photograph

‘Ikebana’, one of my restructured photographs, was accepted into a juried show at the Los Angeles Digital Art Center. It’s a 32″x 12″ semi-floral image that abstracts a photograph I took of a restaurant district in Osaka. I’m looking forward to seeing the work on paper, as I haven’t yet been able to find an affordable printer in NYC.

If you live in/around LA, stop by the gallery between April 10 and May 3 to see my work and that of a whopping 39 others. I’m going to see if I can make it to the opening on April 10, since I’ll be in San Francisco that week/end.

The images were created with Processing.
More information on the LACDA website.

First Filter in Hydra

warped photograph of a painting

I began playing around with hydra a bit today (and I’m only six months behind…). It’s really straightforward to program in, but thinking about the resulting image one pixel at a time took a little getting used to. The environment that Adobe provides for developing shaders is fantastic. It automatically creates control sliders when you declare parameters, so you can tweak the resulting images on the fly. I’m looking forward to seeing how this shading language is implemented in future versions of the creative suite so I can play with it further. For now, I have a simple displacement function that operates both linearly and radially, and allows you to ‘fade’ out the edges a bit.

For examples by someone with a lot more control over shaders, see Quasimondo.
For source code and more, check out the Hydra Gallery (I added mine at the bottom).
More photos on flickr.

Conway’s Game of Life

alternative rendering of conway's game of life

I started messing around with Conway’s game of life this morning when no projects were assigned to me (I got plenty just before lunch, though). I was pretty bored with the tried-and-true 2-d grid rendering, so I tried the tried-and-true process of exploding the individual cells out into space based on pixel brightness (colors are currently selected randomly from a photo). I’ll probably continue to explore this in the near future to see what I can massage out of it.

More images on Flickr.
Created with Processing.

Smoke and Mirrors

Going back on my promise, I revisited my BitmapSmoke class and created something beyond cheesy. Move the mouse to position the heat/smoke source. Regardless, this one is all AS3 and was used primarily as a means to play around with displacement maps. The included Displacer class accepts a movie clip to displace and a map to displace it with, then updates the displacement every time you call run(). What's neat is that you can keep updating the map you passed in, thereby animating the displacement. Banners are looking better all the time.

Download source.

Mario Hills

Initially, I was going to create a waving field of grass similar to the Barbarian Group's work for Saturn. I got sidetracked, however, when I realized how much I liked the round caps in flash when I really bumped up the stroke-size. The result is a landscape of gelatinous hills. Each hill moves using forward-kinematics to recoil if the mouse gets too close. This sketch also pulls colors from a source image.

Download Source